What a week we have had weatherwise! Everything from brilliant sunshine to monsoon! The poor hens have either been ankle deep (do hens have ankles?) in mud or lying on their side, wing lifted, sunbathing. Lots of gardening, tidying up for the winter, in between the mega showers. I’ve still got some beetroot and carrots growing and my late raspberries constantly please me when I find some hiding away. I have also, been tidying up my wardrobe and reluctantly putting away light summer dress and sandals. I am still sticking to my guns over bare legs yet (that is definitely giving in!) as long as The Husband wears his shorts!
So whilst in need of some comfort food for the Autumnal weather, I still want to hang on to the idea of summer and this recipe, I think, encaptures both. Think Mediterranean, hot sun and lemons – but also comfort in a casserole, warm and welcoming when you come in from the cold.
Sausages, with Lemony Potatoes
- 3 – 4 meaty sausages – I prefer Toulouse ones but use your own favourite
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- about 400g small waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- pared zest and juice 1/2 lemon (Zest all but wrap the half you don’t use in clingfilm and the 1/2 juice into an ice cube and freeze – ready for when you want to make this again!)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (again, if you buy a whole packet, chop it all and freeze the rest for another time)
- salt and pepper
Put the oven on to 180oC. Heat a little of the oil in casserole dish. Add the sausages and fry until nicely browned all over. Lift out and set aside. Add the onion, garlic (and fennel if using) and another slug of oil to the casserole and fry until soft and golden. Stir in the potatoes, sausages, lemon zest and juice, bay leaves, half the chopped parsley and salt and pepper. Pour over any remaining oil along with 80ml water, cover tightly and bake for 30 minutes or so until the potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with the rest of the parsley before serving.
Sunshine on a Plate – Orange Salad
- 1 – 2 oranges
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon orange flower water (keeps for ages and I am sure we will use again!)
- cinnamon pomegranate seeds
Peel the oranges, taking as much of the pith off as you can. Turn on to their side and thinly slice. Sprinkle with icing sugar and flower water, cover and put in the fridge for about an hour. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and the pomegranate seeds to serve, with cream or cream fraiche – or a lemon ice cream (scroll back through the recipes as I gave you a recipe a few months ago).
2 thoughts on “Sunshine comfort”
This sausage receipe will be a must ailsa, as you know sausages are rogers favourite!
Hopefully, get him back on his feet again! xx